Monday, May 3, 2010

Art with students from Mrs. Kincaid's Class



I used an amphora because I liked the shape and I used the red-figure style. An amphora would have been filled with oil and given as prize during the Olympic games.

For the vase I did about myself, I used flowers at the top because I like flowers and I think they looked nice as a design. I love to draw, so I used a picture that I drew in the center. Drawing is one of my favorite things to do when I have free time and it was important that I put it on my vase. I also like to shop and my favorite store is Aeropostale, so I put the name of the store on my vase.
Katie

A dinosa was given to the winners of a competition in the Olympic games. It needed a stand to hold it upright because it was round on the bottom. For my Greek vase, I used a dinosa and the red-figure style of pottery, I drew a newly painted vase with geometric shapes around it. For the vase about myself, I used an amphora. I put drawings of my favorite comic books and my favorite book on it. I put a cupcake on my vase because I like cupcakes.
Madison

I used a dinosa and the red-figure style. I wanted to use this shape because it was used as a prize. I put Aeropostale and Justice on my vase because those are my two favorite stores and I like to go shopping. I also put a volleyball and net because volleyball is my favorite sport. I like playing in my pool and on the beach and chocolate is my favorite food. I love art, cheer leading and dancing, so all of those are on my vase too. I really enjoyed this lesson. It was fun doing the sgraffito.
Alexa

On my vase I drew a picture of a volleyball because volleyball is my favorite sport. I drew the name Aeropostale because it's my favorite store. I used a heart pattern because I thought it looked cool. I used the amphora vase and the sgraffito red-figure technique. Amphora vases were used to present oil as an award in the Olympic games. I liked the lesson because I liked learning the sgraffito technique and we could make our own vase. I also liked learning about ancient Greece.
Morgan

I made a red-figure dinosa for the vase about myself. In Greece, it would have been given as a prize in the Olympic games. I drew my favorite sports on my vase. I put the team I play for, footballs, baseballs and some home plates. I used geometric shapes because they were used on Greek vases.
Sam


I used an amphora without handles for my Greek vase. Amphora's were used to award athletes in the Olympic games. On my vase, I showed that I think a woman can compete in the games along with men. I really think it's possible. The woman on my Greek vase is in the Olympic games using a shield and spear. Also, I added the stands where people sit to watch. For my own vase, I used an amphora again. I put my name at the top. I drew my family who I do a lot of gardening with and I drew a shovel. I added a paint palette, brush and the word "art" because I really do love art. I drew friends to show I really care about my friends.
Grace




For my Greek vase I used a dinosa. Often a dinosa was given as a reward in competition. I used the sgraffito red-figure technique. Dinosa's were commonly rounded on the bottom and they needed a stand. I put four men with shields and spears on my vase, and I used some geometric shapes on top because they were used in Greek pottery. The vase I made to tell people about myself has three footballs. It is red-figure. I used the University of Michigan's block M because I want to go to that school. I drew playing cards because I like to play card games. I drew my Grandpa's house because I like to go there, and I drew a pizza because it is one of my favorite foods.
Matt





I used the red-figure style of vase and the amphora shape. An amphora was used to carry oil and was awarded as a prize. I drew Spartans marching on my vase and added geometric shapes because the Greeks always had geometric shapes on their pottery. The pot I designed about my life shows me playing video games. Michigan State is my favorite college so I put it on my vase. I also have the names of my best friends and I used geometric shapes because I liked the way they looked on Greek vases. I liked this project because I was fun designing the vases.
Aydan



The year of the first Olympics was 776 BC. A crown of olive branches was the prize to the winner of the games. In 508 BC democracy began in Athens. Democracy means ruled by the people. The “Classical Period” started in 500 BC. Some of the things that happened in the “Classical Period” in Greece were an interest in art and buildings.
Lisa P.

The first year of the Olympics was 776. They awarded olive branches to the winners. Democracy began in 508 BC. Democracy means “rule by the people.” The “Classical Period” was in 500 BC. In the “Classical Period” there was a lot of interest in arts, imagination, and especially in building. In 490 and 480 BC the Greeks defeated the Persian. As a result, the Greek victories kept the Empire in check. In 432 BC the Parthenon was finished. The purpose was to house a statue of the Goddess of Athena.
Maddie C.

The year of the first Olympics 776 b.c. As prizes they awarded the winners a crown of olive branches. The year of democracy was 508 b.c. Democracy began in Athens. The classical period began in 500 b.c. during the classical period was mostly earth. The Greeks defeated the Persians in 480 and 490 b.c. the result kept the Persians empire in check. The Parthenon was finished in 432 b.c. its purpose was to represent a goddess to protect the city.
Matthew M.


The year of the first Olympics was 776 BC. What they awarded as prizes was a crown of olive branches. The democracy began in 508BC in Athens, democracy means “ruled by the people”. The “Classical Period” stated in 500 BC, during these times there was a growing interest in the arts, imagination, and buildings, especially in Athens. In 480-490 the Greeks defeated the Persians, the result was that the Greeks defeated the Persians. The Greeks finished the Parthenon in 432 BC. Its purpose is to house to statue of Athena to look over her city.
Nicole J.

776 BC was the first year of Olympics. They awarded a crown of olive branches to the winners. In 508 BC in Athens democracy was started. Democracy means ruled by the people. The “Classical Period” was started in 500 BC. Things that happened during this time was a lot of interest in art, imagination, and buildings, especially in the state-city Athens. The Greeks defeated the Persian in 490 and 480. The Greek victories kept growing Persian Empire in check. The Parthenon finished in 432 BC. The huge temple was built to house a statue of the Goddess Athena.
Morgan J.

The in year 776 the first Olympics was held. They held the Olympic Games every four years in honor of the Greek lightning god Zeus. The Olympic games included racing, wrestling chariot driving, and javelin. The year democracy began was in 508 BC. Democracy means ruled by the people. Males were given the opportunity to vote in how the state/city should be run. 500 BC. was when the "Classical Period" happened. At that time there was a lot of interest in art, imagination and building, especially in the city/state of Athens. This period lasted until 323 BC. In 490 BC through 480 BC. the Greeks defeated Persian and Salamis. The Greek victories kept the growing Persian emperor in check. The Parthenon was finished in 432 BC. It was built for the Greek goddess Athenian. She was put there to protect the cities and state.
Madison Z.

In the year 776 BC. the first Olympic Games were held in honor of the god Zeus. These games were only held every 4 years. The champion of the games would receive a crown made from olive tree branches. In 508 BC democracy began in Athens. Democracy means for the people to have a say and be able to vote on their own right. This is what people say is the greatest thing that ever happened. In 500 BC. the Classical Period started in Greece. This time was when the people of Greece started taking an interest in pottery and building. This period lasted till 323 BC.
In 490 BC the Greek warriors defeated the Persian. As an result the Greeks kept the growing Persian empire in check. In 432 BC the Greeks finished the Parthenon.
Grace O.

The first year of the Olympic Games was 776 BC. A crown of olive branches was awarded to the winner. Democracy began in 508 BC. in Athens. Democracy means ruled by the people. The Classical period began in 500 BC. People started taking an interest in art and buildings.The Greeks defeated the Persian in 480 and 490 BC. As a result they kept the Persian Empire in check.The Parthenon was finished in 432 BC. Its purpose was to house a statue of the goddess Athena.
Aydan

For some fun and interesting games go to:http://www.poptropica.com/


15 comments:

  1. You look like artists!

    ~Mrs. Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Post is right we do look like artists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Maddie! Not only do you look like artists, you ARE artists!!
    ~Mrs. Guetschow

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the gruop picture looks really good....set up really cool!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOUR CLASS DID REALY GOOD AND YOUR RIGHT ALEXA YOUR GUYSZ GGRUOP PICTURE DOES LOOK GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW I ONLY RAED MORGAN, SAM, AND NICHOLES BUT STILL YOU GUYS DID GREAT.

    PS. (WHISPER) " ALEXA I COPIED HOW YOU SPELT GRUOP (GROUP)"

    LOVE TAYLOR

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FORGOT TO SAY SOMTHING SO HERE IT GOS, SINCE YOU DID SUCH AN AEWSOME JOB PAT YOUR SELVES ON THE BACK AND LET ME HERE A ROUND OF APLAUSE LITTERALY LET ME HEAR IT FROM MUSIC, GYM OR COMPUTERS WERE EVER I AM WHEN YOU GUYS ARE IN ART DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    LOVE TAYLOR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody is doing really good with their vases. Good job!! I like this project.

    -Nicole J. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DONT KNOW ALOT OF YOU GUYS IN MRS.KINCAIDS CLASS BUT I THING YOU ARE ALL REALY SMART AND COOL. P.S. COOL VASES.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey guys um... i dont realy know what to say but... i um... guess keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. [whisper ]its okay taylor at least im not the only one who makes mistakes lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really think that this was a great opportunity to learn more about greek history not just the percy jacksons.graceooooooomonke

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this project I thought that it was fun And I liked learning about the greeks

    ReplyDelete
  13. i liked this project too i think it was fun learning about the red figure and black figuer vases. I also liked that we got to make a vase about ourselves!!!!!
    Katie Theisen

    ReplyDelete
  14. i miss going to art i had so much fun in that project

    ReplyDelete